Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sportsmanship and Rivalry

So here's the thing... I'm a Cowboys fan through and through 'til the day I die. I BLEED blue and silver, y'all.



My cousin, Heather, who is a diehard Redskins fan, posted this status last night and I had to share it with my Facebook friends and then thought I'd elaborate even more here.

Her status...
"It is very possible to support your team without disrespecting the other. It's called sportsmanship... thought some people needed to remember that."

So I'm pretty sure EVERYONE, even people who don't watch football, know that the Cowboys and the Redskins are major rivals. Take my kids for example, I have one Cowboys fan and one Redskins fan...

(The plastic on my window in the background is a Halloween decoration, we're not quite that ghetto. ha!)


The Cowboys and the Redskins will ALWAYS talk smack to each other when their teams are playing... or any other teams in the NFL for that matter, ha!

My thing is, I just don't understand people laughing at someone being hurt or saying "that's karma." A human being is injured, regardless of which team he plays for! (And I'm aware that there were probably some ugly Cowboys fans that did the same when RGIII was hurt, I'm not blind to that fact, but it's wrong as well!) People just continue to disappoint me...

Poking fun at a team is one thing, and I can even deal with the "Cowboys suck" posts, but don't laugh because someone is injured... Maybe I didn't take the remarks so personal until my son started playing football and I started seeing kids get hurt on the field, thankfully Hunter hasn't been seriously hurt yet, but it can happen! :( (But haha on y'all, Romo came back and finished the game! Even if we did lose! Ha!)

End of story... can't we all just get along!? ha! If the players of both teams can get along... the fans should be able to as well! Geez!!



How awesome is that picture?! Praise the Lord!!!

6 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head. I posted something similar on my blog today. I just can't understand how poorly people were raised to think it's okay to cheer for someone getting hurt. Shame on them and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I am a Giants fan living in Eagles territory so I definitely get the rivalry thing too, but nothing gets me more than other fans being happy that a player on their rival team gets hurt. There is just no excuse for that because at the end of the day, someone got hurt and that just isn't cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good point!! No matter what team you cheer for it's important to remember that the people in the uniforms are human beings and deserve respect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! lol! I live in VA, so most everyone here are Redskins fans, so I catch a lot of crap for my Cowboys too! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, that is EXACTLY what it probably comes down to in most cases... how they were raised! Sad!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right!! :)

    ReplyDelete